Friday, November 25, 2011

When I Am Drunk I Am an Indian

I am a warrior.
And I am poisoned
Just like all great warriors.
My stomach is full of the tears
That were shed
Or weren’t shed
On a long walk
My blood is thick with ink
Or names, or both
But because there are no names in my blood
I am full of poison
My ears are ringing with bloody, ululating pride
And when I slam my feet into the ground
They scream at me
To run faster

I am a warrior.
Unstoppable
I am a warrior.
I can do no wrong
I will never bow my head
I will never cut my hair
As long as I am poisoned
Or alive
I will wear a lopsided smile
As my warpaint
And when I am poisoned
I will never stop fighting

I am a warrior.
I am covered in scars
My head is full of the white man’s bullets
And they know everything
They teach me how to fill my belly
With unshed tears
But early in the morning
Before battle, before we walk forever
And forget war
I am whole
And there is no ink in my blood
And there is no poison in my blood
But I am only a great warrior.
When I am poisoned

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home